yellowdog-newbie Digest, Vol 46, Issue 8

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue Jun 24 08:11:33 MDT 2008

Hi Pat:

There are at least three approaches you can use to find nearly any installed
package.  Try not to feel too silly, as I've asked similar questions myself
regarding other packages.  Here's the three most common search strategies
which you can do within YDL in looking for an installed package.  One useful
trick is to use the *, the wildcard symbol; here's some ways to use it.
Let's suppose we're looking for embedspu or ibm or sdk here are some
strategies:

$whereis *em*u

or

$whereis *ibm*

Explanation:  The wildcard before the first character acts as a "catch-all"
in the event the package you are looking for contains an unexpected prefix
name.  Likewise a wildcard after a character similarly will find any name
containing ibm with an additional suffix.

You can also try:

$locate *em*u

Explanation:  The locate function lists anything comprising the name you are
search for regardless where it is.

In the event that the package you are looking for isn't installed you can
use yum to do your searching for you:

#yum info em*u

You need to make sure that yum.conf has a wide enough listing of URLs to
investigate so that you can insure that your search is as complete as
possible.

All the best...