Finally, I have a PS3.

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Sat Jun 28 07:46:09 MDT 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:01:52 -0500
"Ron Rogers Jr." <CronoCloud at mchsi.com> wrote:

> After lurking on this list for what seemed like forever, I
> finally have a PS3.

Congrats!  I haven't made that move yet.  I would prefer the cell in a laptop
running ydl.  It may never happen.

> Surprises:
>
> Gaaaah E17!  No offense, but it drove me batty, even if it has a
> nice shelf. Though it probably is the best choice for a
> lightweight desktop, it's less RAM intensive than all of XFCE's
> pieces are. I used fluxbox on the PS2 and installed it in YDL.
> The default term choice (gnome-term) is probably a bit heavy for
> the PS3.  I installed rxvt/mrxvt/urxvt very quickly.
>
> I also noticed that the default filemanager shows previews of
> what's in text files.
>
> I'll have to update gnupg, I was running 1.4.8 on the PS2.
>
> I tended to use dillo for basic browsing, backed up with links
> -g, which I'll have to install, because elinks doesn't have that
> option. I had Firefox 1.5 and 2.foo installed on the PS2 using
> 1.5 only when absolutely necessary and 2.foo only when 1.5
> didn't work on some site.  So Firefox 2 on YDL is a pleasant
> surprise, Flash! Java!
>
> I am enjoying pirut/yum... a lot.  I had to compile EVERYTHING
> on the PS2. Though some of the packages are older than I
> expected, ie vim 7.0 rather than 7.1, gimp2.2 rather than 2.4.
> Yes I had 2.4 on the PS2, because I'm not sane.  :-)  I did get
> tripped up in compiling Claws-Mail because I had forgot about
> devel packages.
>
> I actually haven't tried any multimedia stuff yet, I haven't
> installed XMMS.
>
> I've had to do some command line work, editing /etc/profile to
> set my PKG_CONFIG_PATH, that sort of thing.  Nothing I'm not
> used to doing. So far it's been going smoothly, though I
> haven't figured out how to use my usb headset with YDL (to
> record) yet.
>
> Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)

Glad to hear things are moving along nicely. I'd appreciate it if you clarified
what you did regarding editing /etc/profile and setting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH in
reference to Claws Mail packages.  There's been a lot of changes in the current
version of Claws, I've not been able o get the additional packages to work as I
would have liked.

I look forward to learning what you've been able to do.
All the best...

=====
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often
think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of
music. ... I get most joy in life out of music."

"What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester
Viereck," for the October 26, 1929 issue of The Saturday Evening Post.