G4 Powerbook Wireless - correction

Barry Hembree gbhembree at comcast.net
Fri Aug 8 07:47:45 MDT 2008

Derick,

Still no good. Here is what I did:

1) I found an old install disk for Airport Extreme. I used Pacifist (a
cool utility) to extract the package contents from the cd.
2) I used version 006 of the fwcutter program to extract the drivers
from AppleAirport2 into /lib/firmware
3) Made the following ifcfg-eth1 file
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=no
HWADDR=00:0d:93:7f:4c:c3
NETMASK=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
DOMAIN=
TYPE=Wireless
ESSID='B&MLocal'
CHANNEL=6
MODE=Managed
RATE=Auto
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=yes
PEERDNS=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

4)rebooted
5)/sbin/ifconfig eth1

SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

6)dmesg (relevant part)

b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load failed.
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware
  and download the correct firmware (version 4).

7)/sbin/iwconfig eth1

Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 22
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 20.
Some things may be broken...

eth1      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""
           Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Access Point: Not-Associated
           Tx-Power=0 dBm
           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B
           Encryption key:off
           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Any ideas?  There appears to be some problem with the drivers.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Barry

On Aug 7, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Derick Centeno wrote:

> [...]
> within YDL.  So I stayed with what works.
>
> All the best...
>
> Barry Hembree wrote:
>> Derick,
>>
>> Thanks for your response. I went ahead and installed Mac OS X back on
>> my computer and upgraded it to the latest version. I don't seem to
>> have an AppleAirport2 file. I only have a AppleAirport file. I think
>> the AppleAirport2 file is pre-Leopard. The fwcutter program (I have
>> tried two different versions) does not seem to want to extract the
>> file I have. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Barry
>>
>> On Aug 6, 2008, at 9:00 PM, Derick Centeno wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Barry!
>>>
>>> I've got the same type of computer you do.  According to the
>>> references I found
>>> on-line regarding wl-4.80.53.0, for whatever reason, it is buggy and
>>> doesn't
>>> work.  The only way around this is to have OS X running such that
>>> fwcutter can
>>> extract the firmware from it.
>>>
>>> I understand your feelings regarding OS X, I commiserate.  However,
>>> a running
>>> version which is used such that a viable version of the firmware
>>> becomes
>>> extracted from it is the best way to insure the quality of firmware
>>> you acquire
>>> and import into YDL.  I don't envy the work ahead; I can only state
>>> that once
>>> you pass that stage you may find that the effort was worth it.
>>>
>>> The instructions on this page still work:
>>> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_5.x/airport-extreme.shtml
>>>
>>> Problems I found:
>>>
>>> [root at arakus b43-fwcutter-009]# ./b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/
>>> \/mnt/macosx/Sys*/Libr*/Ex*/Ap*/Con*/Ma*/AppleAirPort2 Sorry, the
>>> input file is
>>> either wrong or not supported by b43-fwcutter. This file has an
>>> unknown MD5sum
>>> 85c71d658b650fd2ef546d1d81b113a0.
>>> [root at arakus b43-fwcutter-009]#
>>>

>>> [root at arakus bcm43XX-fwcutter-006]# ./bcm43XX-fwcutter -w /lib/
>>> firmware/
>>> \/mnt/macosx/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/
>>> MacOS/AppleAirPort2
>>> Sorry, the input file is either wrong or not supported by bcm43XX-
>>> fwcutter.
>>> This file has an unknown MD5sum 85c71d658b650fd2ef546d1d81b113a0.
>>>
>>> The above was resolved by NOT copying over the ifcfg-eth1 file with
>>> the
>>> ifcfg-eth0 file. Also the HWADDR variable in ifcfg-eth1 != the
>>> HWADDR variable
>>> in ifcfg-eth0. Anaconda creates both files with different
>>> definitions for the
>>> hardware location accessed for Ethernet (eth0) and Wireless (eth1).
>>>
>>> What follows is the ifcfg-eth1 file settings located in  /etc/sys*/
>>> net*scripts:
>>>
>>> # Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
>>> ONBOOT=no
>>> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>>> HWADDR=00:11:24:90:c3:d8
>>> NETMASK=
>>> DHCP_HOSTNAME=arakus
>>> IPADDR=
>>> DOMAIN=
>>> TYPE=Wireless
>>> ESSID=off/any
>>> CHANNEL=1
>>> MODE=Managed
>>> RATE=Auto
>>> USERCTL=yes
>>> IPV6INIT=yes
>>> PEERDNS=yes
>>>
>>> After reboot, it is then possible to do the standard manual
>>> invocation of eth1
>>> via the terminal.
>>>
>>> The sequence anywhere else entails looking/scanning for signals and
>>> using the
>>> essid which are available and/or to those essid's key i've been
>>> given to use
>>> (in the event of an encrpted network:
>>>
>>> 1. #ifconfig eth1 up
>>> 2. #iwconfig eth1
>>> 3. #iwlist eth1 scanning
>>> 4. #iwconfig eth1 channel 6 txpower on rate auto essid ????????????