kde 2.2 were coming soon?

Subject: kde 2.2 were coming soon?
From: Kevin Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 12:57:08 MDT

Hi Dan,

I have been on both ftp.kde.org and some of the mirror sites and can not
find the YDL2 KDE 2.2 srpms and rpms anyplace that you hinted might be
coming soon?

Are these still coming?

That brings up a another point? Is YDL planning to have any particular
"contributed" archive for SRPMS and RPMS that people build and
contribute.

The reason I ask is that there are a lot of new things coming down the
pike (or already here).

- kde 2.2
- glibc 2.2.4 and fast after glibc-2.2.5 (compatible with gcc -3.X)
- gcc 3.0.1 has already been released
- Openoffice 638 will probably be released by next week
- JDK 1.3.1 may follow along soon if it passes the JCK tests
- new kernels
- mozilla 0.9.3 and mozilla 0.9.4 (targeted for mid Sept?)
-etc

If you had a "contributed section" (possibly with a limited number of
"trusted" developers able to contribute) it would certainly help take
the load off
of your shoulders.

Also given the glibc-2.2.4 versioned symbols and gcc 3 C++ abi breakage,
having a contrib section split into a glibc-2.2.1/gcc-2.95.4 for users
of YDL 2.0 versus a glibc-2.2.5/gcc3.X for something like YDL 2.1 might
be useful.

Just my 2 cents.

Kevin