Re: kde 2.2 were coming soon?

Subject: Re: kde 2.2 were coming soon?
From: Jeramy B. Smith (jeramy@penguinppc.org)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 19:48:30 MDT

And not to mention kde2.2 release is _still_ buggy. I am waiting for the
rawhide SRPM to be updated myself. The best things come to those who wait.

> > That brings up a another point? Is YDL planning to have any particular
> > "contributed" archive for SRPMS and RPMS that people build and
> > contribute.
>
> There is a contrib/ direcetory right now.
> I need to talk to our main mirrors about how to facilitate uploading.

Be nice if the contrib section was yup'able also. I have been pushing the
YDL guys for an actively maintained contrib section but I am not sure if
they have the manpower to do it.

Also there are issues if you have multiple trusted developers, like when
their packages break each other dependency wise. This is really a big deal
if the contrib archive is yup updateable.

I would prefer if a contrib archive had certain target goals:

backports of rawhide packages that are killer apps
backports of rawhide tools that help build new stuff in rawhide

I have been shaking my head at some of the stuff I have seen in the
linuxppc.org contrib section. Especially the fact that most of it is
precompiled by the people who upload it and not recompiled on a virgin Q4
system.

-jeramy