CD ROM audio problem

Subject: CD ROM audio problem
From: Derick Centeno (aguila@macol.net)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 00:31:24 MST

Dear YDL community:
I've been able to resolve a problem that has rather annoyed me for some time.
I had the problem of not being able to have .wav files play at their
appointed time, that is, at the occurrence of a particular system
event (such as a window opening). For instance, if I logged in to
GNOME directly and started working, no sounds would play; but if I
logged into KDE first, invoked "modprode dmasound", then and only
then would all sound files play; but if I logged out and rebooted the
system would "forget" and again no system event sounds would play
when I logged directly into GNOME first.

Solution:
Modify the .bash_profile file so that modprobe dmasound was invoked
after the export command.

Again on the "mac" side, I can play any audio cd. In Linux, however,
various little cd-audio apps can and do appear to work (their windows
update as the songs are played), but no sound.

Hollis, you mentioned an "xmm-cdread plugin" but where do I get it from?

Thanks for your assistance. Sincerely, Derick.