Re: CD ROM audio problem

Subject: Re: CD ROM audio problem
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 11:45:36 MST

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Derick Centeno wrote:

> Solution:
> Modify the .bash_profile file so that modprobe dmasound was invoked
> after the export command.

Did you try adding 'alias sound dmasound' to /etc/conf.modules?
(http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_solutions.shtml)

> Again on the "mac" side, I can play any audio cd. In Linux, however,
> various little cd-audio apps can and do appear to work (their windows
> update as the songs are played), but no sound.
>
> Hollis, you mentioned an "xmm-cdread plugin" but where do I get it from?

xmms-cdread (xmms being the Linux equivalent of WinAmp). It's towards the
bottom of http://www.xmms.org/plugins_input.html

You only need this if you have newer Apple hardware (which lacks the cdrom
drive -> motherboard sound cable). If that is not the case, use a mixer like
kmix to ensure that your volume levels are appropriate.

-Hollis