Re: Do you support pthread_cond_timedwait() function?

Subject: Re: Do you support pthread_cond_timedwait() function?
From: Kevin Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 09:18:52 MST

Hi,

> We found some problems during the porting process of our product to
> Yellowdog linux.
> Our product is a program that uses 'Multi-Thread' and to correctly
> operate the 'Multi-Thread', we uses a program called 'pthread'.
> Product can correctly be operated under intel series system linux (wow
> linux 7.0).

A few things:

1. I can not recreate your problem using glibc-2.2.4 which is available
      as an update to for YDL 2.1 in the software section on the
yellowdog ftp site

2. Why the use of #pragma pack(1)? Is this really needed? PPC has
alignment issues for structures that might be impacted by this command.
Does the problem still happen in your test code without the "pragma
pack(1)" with stock YDL 2.x glibc?

Since you got a SIGBUS and not a SIGSEGV my guess you are trying to
access the wrong place in the structuree due to the pragma pack. I do
not think it is portable to run pragma pack(1) on a structure that
includes data types declared by glibc for mutexes and condvars.

Please try it without that compiler commands since it is not needed for
the test code to run.

Kevin

----
Kevin B. Hendricks
Associate Professor of Operations and Information Technology
Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario
London Ontario, CANADA  N6A 3K7
khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca