new G4 dual 1 gig is here - how to install?

Subject: new G4 dual 1 gig is here - how to install?
From: Kevin B. Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 18:08:57 MST

Hi,

Okay my new G4 1 gig box has finally arrived after sitting in Canadian
customs for close to 5 days for no real good reason.

So I made the kernel changes Ben indicated and built a kernel (up not
smp to start) and since everything is installed on a external scsi drive
I tried the following:

I simply unplugged the scsi chain and installed it on the new machine.
I then held down the option key to get the menu and sure enough the nice
linux disk icon showed in the of menu.

When I select it I immediately get the prompt for linux, mac, or cdrom
boot but as soon as I hit l for linux it recycles.

Obviously it can find the script partion and show it to me but it can
not seem to find yaboot or the root linux partition (on that same drive)
so perhaps some internal of path is set somehow that differs from my old
machine to my new machine.

So what is the best way to get linux working on this thing. Since
kernel changes are needed to recognize the new 7455 chip, none of the
canned installers from SuSE, or YellowDog will work, will they?

Do I have to roll my own installer with the fixed kernel just to get
linux going? If so, how do I go about rolling my own installer image
from the kernel I have built with the 7455 code changes in place?

Ideas anyone. I really thought since my current installation in on
external scsi that the option startup trick would work (and it does run
the script but yaboot does not seem to get properly launched.

Hope someone can help since I have to give my old machine to my wife
soon (or she will lynch me) so I really want to get linux up on my new
machine before my old machine goes to her.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin