question on best way to install other ide drives?

Subject: question on best way to install other ide drives?
From: Kevin B. Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 16:59:53 MST

Hi,

My dual 1 Gig machine has room to easily mount a second (slave) ide
drive. I also have an Sonnet ATA-100 pci card and another IDE drive.

I would like to add both. The Sonnet card can support up to 4 IDE
drives.

Would it be better (performancewize) to:

A. Hook both drives up the the ATA-100 pci card using two ribbon cables
with both being masters?

B. Hook only 1 to the ATA-100 (a master) and use the second as slave
off the the included IDE card?

C. Hook both to one ATA-100 card using one as master and one as slave.

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin