re: updates

Subject: re: updates
From: Derick Centeno (aguila@macol.net)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 03:20:32 MST

Greetings:
I'm sure for someone out there, what I will describe is equivalent to
arithmetic.
I would appreciate suggestions, comments -- a clue, maybe?

I 've used yup to download the most recent updates including the most
recent linux kernel. I know I have to compile, configure, etc. -- I
found a manual (Using Linux Sys. Admin.) which is really clear about the
process; I'll accept other references, of course, as recommendations as
well. In my reading, I discovered that according to files (the FAQ)
associated with BootX; it (BootX) will only load those versions of linux
from the Mac side which it (BootX) recognizes. The question now is how
do I change, update or modify BootX to match the new Linux kernel?

I've not done anything yet and won't until I get clarification.

Other "challenges" with Champion S. 1.2: no sound when CD audio disk is
entered correctly, various apps within Enlightenment, and KDE "play" the
disk, but no sound.
All attempts to set sound within sys control panel apps within Xwindows
environment fail.

Can't mount floppies using mtools or directly using mount /dev/fd0. Of
course, if floppy can't mount, then files can't be copied to or from
them either.

OH, regarding complaints of Mac OS X structure regarding files,
permissions, locks, invisible files, access, etc.; please note a lot of
that kind of info was previewed and discussed in great detail by authors
at MacCentral. The "success" of systems like the Mac lie in their
ability to hide complexity and lock out others interesting in
rearranging essential internals. This is why those of us who do enjoy
doing just that
are here, or playing with Linux or working with Linux. It is also
because there are a lot of people like us that Mac OS X is the most
"open" of all the prior Mac OS's.
Apple has done with its OS what IBM won't do with AIX, and we all drool
at AIX don't we? Solaris? Please!

So we want AIX, and we get Linux or Mac OS X. Fair deal, I say. I
think it is exciting to know that Uncle Bob or Aunt Tilly or anyone,
will have the chance and opportunity to work on building a nice Volume
Manager for Linux, and get direct credit for it. Linux is growing, and
getting better. Being at the "ground floor" of something essential is
very different than adding just one more app, also participating with
such a project on a planetary scale is a significant order of difference
greater than whatever is submitted in any office. What Apple
understands, and Microsoft and others fear is exactly what has been said
of the Linux community, "... Nobody is smarter than everybody."

Of course, if anyone or a team writes something that intense, it can be
incorporated and used by Darwin as well. Anyone notice that Aqua is
from Enlightenment? We are definitely in a very, very different world.
I'm not sure that those focussing on Linux support for x86 systems only
get the picture; I'm sure that unless a balance exists, ie. support for
x86 and PPC systems exist equally Linux may also itself become another
"has been done/tried" effort relegated to the past. Sun had its chance
to blow Microsoft "out of the water" with StarOffice, but it decided to
support only x86 and its a "has been". According to Maximum Linux
(Nov/Dec 2000) Sun is seriously working to replace Solaris with Gnome,
that alone speaks volumes. StarOffice will come to the Mac, but I'm not
sure it'll come to Linux systems on the PPC. And this is exactly why as
someone said, "The future isn't what it used to be."

This is a GREAT opportunity for the talented to write on PPC systems for
Linux or Mac OS X, because Intel and company has literally created their
own hell. They are too hot and energy hungry; good solid apps on the
PPC side would really bring computers back into the market as useable as
opposed to wasteful. Then again, thats so obvious why state it.