re: updates

Subject: re: updates
From: Jason McIntosh (jwm05c@mizzou.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 07:01:24 MST

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Derick Centeno wrote:

> Greetings:
> I'm sure for someone out there, what I will describe is equivalent to
> arithmetic.
> I would appreciate suggestions, comments -- a clue, maybe?
>
> I 've used yup to download the most recent updates including the most
> recent linux kernel. I know I have to compile, configure, etc. -- I
> found a manual (Using Linux Sys. Admin.) which is really clear about the
> process; I'll accept other references, of course, as recommendations as
> well. In my reading, I discovered that according to files (the FAQ)
> associated with BootX; it (BootX) will only load those versions of linux
> from the Mac side which it (BootX) recognizes. The question now is how
> do I change, update or modify BootX to match the new Linux kernel?

There should be preference settings for it - from what I remember of bootx
( I use yaboot now), there's a vmlinux file stored someplace near it (or
in the extensions folder as well), and you could concievably just mount
the drive, and (after saving the old one), copy the new one into it's
position. But, not 100% sure - should be in the readme or docs.

> I've not done anything yet and won't until I get clarification.
>
> Other "challenges" with Champion S. 1.2: no sound when CD audio disk is
> entered correctly, various apps within Enlightenment, and KDE "play" the
> disk, but no sound.
> All attempts to set sound within sys control panel apps within Xwindows
> environment fail.

Shoudldn't be much to that. I've generally had problems with the default
kernel given out by YellowDog - had problems myself with the sound system.
Eventually (don't know whether it was something different I did later or
what), after switching to 2.2.17pre20-ben3 I got the sound to work.
However, I'm using a powerbook. Check and look at see what sound you are
using, as I don't know what kind of machine you have.

> Can't mount floppies using mtools or directly using mount /dev/fd0. Of
> course, if floppy can't mount, then files can't be copied to or from
> them either.

You actually use the floppy drive in a mac? :) Still, not sure on this
one - don't have a floppy drive, just use my network.

> OH, regarding complaints of Mac OS X structure regarding files,
> permissions, locks, invisible files, access, etc.; please note a lot of
> that kind of info was previewed and discussed in great detail by authors
> at MacCentral. The "success" of systems like the Mac lie in their
> ability to hide complexity and lock out others interesting in
> rearranging essential internals. This is why those of us who do enjoy
> doing just that
> are here, or playing with Linux or working with Linux. It is also
> because there are a lot of people like us that Mac OS X is the most
> "open" of all the prior Mac OS's.

However, being a Unix system, and supposedly based on BSD, like any other
Unix it would have been nice to be able to access most of the system.
Even on PRIOR Apple OS's, you can access virtually EVERY FILE. This
includes the system files. Now you can't. So you're incorrect here.

> Apple has done with its OS what IBM won't do with AIX, and we all drool
> at AIX don't we? Solaris? Please!

Incorrect again. Have you ever used Solaris? It's complex, but VERY
powerful. But, as root I still have access to everything without limits.

> So we want AIX, and we get Linux or Mac OS X. Fair deal, I say. I
> think it is exciting to know that Uncle Bob or Aunt Tilly or anyone,
> will have the chance and opportunity to work on building a nice Volume
> Manager for Linux, and get direct credit for it. Linux is growing, and
> getting better. Being at the "ground floor" of something essential is
> very different than adding just one more app, also participating with
> such a project on a planetary scale is a significant order of difference
> greater than whatever is submitted in any office. What Apple
> understands, and Microsoft and others fear is exactly what has been said
> of the Linux community, "... Nobody is smarter than everybody."

*sigh* That is the idea of the Open Source community - in part. People
who need or want an application, who can't find it, create it themselves.
Other's looking for a similar app offer help. The result is a program
written by people who wanted it, and available to others who want it.
Part of this is for in house work (usually) in large companies, where they
can't find the source elsewhere, or the hobbiest people who do this stuff
for fun in their spare time.

> Of course, if anyone or a team writes something that intense, it can be
> incorporated and used by Darwin as well. Anyone notice that Aqua is
> from Enlightenment? We are definitely in a very, very different world.
> I'm not sure that those focussing on Linux support for x86 systems only
> get the picture; I'm sure that unless a balance exists, ie. support for
> x86 and PPC systems exist equally Linux may also itself become another
> "has been done/tried" effort relegated to the past. Sun had its chance
> to blow Microsoft "out of the water" with StarOffice, but it decided to

Um, hello - look at OpenOffice - http://penguinppc.org/ - it's StarOffice
ported to powerPC chip.

> support only x86 and its a "has been". According to Maximum Linux
> (Nov/Dec 2000) Sun is seriously working to replace Solaris with Gnome,
> that alone speaks volumes. StarOffice will come to the Mac, but I'm not
> sure it'll come to Linux systems on the PPC. And this is exactly why as
> someone said, "The future isn't what it used to be."

*sigh* YET AGAIN. Solaris is the OS, Gnome is a DESKTOP MANAGER. Please,
before you comment, read up on this? Hmmmmmm? A friend of mine who is a
NUTRICIAN grad, knows NOTHING about computers, at least understands this
principle.

> This is a GREAT opportunity for the talented to write on PPC systems for
> Linux or Mac OS X, because Intel and company has literally created their
> own hell. They are too hot and energy hungry; good solid apps on the
> PPC side would really bring computers back into the market as useable as
> opposed to wasteful. Then again, thats so obvious why state it.

Yes, good apps would. However, a few notes. One, the PPC systems tend to
be very expensive for the performance, and that throws more than a few
people off. Two Upgradability and other features have also thrown people
constantly off. Three, with MS controlling over 90% of the desktop
market, an application producer to get good market spread has almost no
choice in developing but to support MS. Java (which I develop in) can
help this, but still an app must be able to run under MS in order for
businesses to make money off of applications. It's harder to get apps for
Linux, often due to lack of market control, and the fact that a lot of
software can already be found, with a little more work that is free. For
PPC, it's easy enough to take some of these apps and convert them over.
That's why the source code is there, the invitation to develop it further,
and the whole Open Source community.
Read, then talk and spout.
Jason

p.s. (sorry for the rant everyone, just couldn't let this one loose)

| Jason McIntosh | CELL: 573-424-7612 |
| Webmaster, thinker, etc. | WORK: 573-884-3865 |
| http://web.missouri.edu/~c717990/ | |
|"How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are |
|for. I only coded it." |
|(Attributed to Linus Torvalds, somewhere in a posting) |