re: updates

Subject: re: updates
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 12:52:13 MST

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Derick Centeno wrote:

> Thank you Hollis for your comments. Interestingly enough I found a
> conf.modules file
> where the YDL site you pointed me to mentions that it should be
> modules.conf.

I see now. It was renamed to modules.conf in newer initscripts than what
shipped with CS 1.2.1; I've installed XF4 so that's what I had. I've updated
the page.

> Still no sound from CD audio disks; .wav files play fine, they sound funny
> and some are just grand.

Depending on your hw, you may need the xmm-cdread plugin to play audio CD's.
Also make sure you've turned the CD volume up with a mixer.

> I changed noauto to auto in the fstab file; will see how that goes.

I don't know why you did this (were we discussing floppies), but that will
cause your system to automatically mount the device at boot.

Changing "ext2" to "auto" would cause the *filesystem type* to be
automatically detected at mount. This may not work for HFS, in which case you
would need to replace "ext2" with "hfs".

> By the way, it should be noted somewhere that "Mac on Linux" assumes
> that all Macs have new world ROMs and therefore CPU's without them
> cannot run MOL.

I recommend visiting http://www.maconlinux.org. It is possible to run MOL on
Old World Macs.

-Hollis