Re: YDL2.0 font issues

Subject: Re: YDL2.0 font issues
From: Hollis (hollis-lists@austin.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 21:26:15 MDT

On Monday 02 July 2001 12:05, you wrote:

> Under OpenOffice-632 (soon to be released) I was able to enjoy anti-aliased
> fonts. Now since I have upgraded from my own XFree 4.0.2 to that supplied
> from YDL 2.0, my ability to see anti-aliased fonts has gone away.

Due to instability with this version of Qt, Qt's font anti-aliasing was
disabled. This is done in /etc/profile.d/qt.{csh,sh}

> Also, looking at XF86Config-4, I see the xfs line commented out. There is
> the following comment in its place:
>
> # By default, YDL 2.0 and later now use a font server independent of
> # the X server to render fonts.
>
> #FontPath "unix/:7100" # local font server
>
> Should this line have been commented out? Are you using xfs? If so, what
> port is xfs running on? I am confused. What am I missing here?

I noticed that as well. I believe it was accidental, however as I'm sure
you've noticed XF4 seems quite capable of rendering fonts on its own now. :)
I simply disabled xfs. I do not know if or how this could affect font
anti-aliasing.

On important note for Gnome users: for some reason, Gnome is more susceptible
to Font path order than KDE. In particular, the 100dpi fonts are listed
before their 75dpi equivalents. This can result in oversized fonts. The fix
(which is already in the installer source) is to swap the 100dpi and 75dpi
lines in /etc/X11/XF86Config.

-Hollis