Re: ybin compliance for ydl2

Subject: Re: ybin compliance for ydl2
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 19:08:03 MST

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, jeramy b smith wrote:

> There are 3 issues that affect using the standard new world bootloader
> loader.
>
> -the lack of pmac-utils >= 2
>
> The version in cs 1.2.1 is the old version that can't nvsetenv on new
> worlds. There is not even a pmac-utils package in ydl2beta. I had to get
> it from hollis directory on penguinppc.

pmac-utils was missing from the automatic build list. I just added it.

> -the lack of /dev/nvram
>
> I installed the newer dev and it wasn't there. Strange since Ethan has
> gone blue in the mouth over this one. I installed the newer MAKEDEV and
> created the device bu hand though and with the newer pmac-utils I could
> set the boot-device from Linux.

I just added nvram to the default dev package (generated by the MAKEDEV srpm).
Also, the post install script for pmac-utils tests for /dev/nvram and creates
it if necessary.

> In the vanilla yaboot.conf that ybin installs, there is the following
> line:
>
> magicboot=/usr/local/lib/yaboot/ofboot
>
> Which should be
>
> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

You're correct; I'm fixing that now. (The installer generates a working
yaboot.conf during installation.)

-Hollis