Re: no luck with Adaptec SCSI controller in 2.4.X

Subject: Re: no luck with Adaptec SCSI controller in 2.4.X
From: David A. Gatwood (dgatwood@apple.com)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 16:02:57 MDT

On Friday, October 12, 2001, at 01:06 PM, Michel Lanners wrote:

> On 12 Oct, this message from David A. Gatwood echoed through
> cyberspace:
>> From what I gather, Quantum's high end drives were pretty
>> decent, but I have a stack of dead Fireballs to prove that their low
>> end
>> drives weren't.... :-|
>
> I can add one to your stack, a 1.2 Gig originally from my 7600/132. Took
> the Debian install on my Performa 475 with it when half of the disk
> surface went unreadable.

Same here, only a 7600/120. Thankfully, in my case, the bad blocks
first appeared in swap space, causing a kernel panic, which set off a
million red flags, so that very night, I backed everything up onto a 9
gig seagate and started using that as the main drive.

I left that Quantum drive in the machine as a backup. A month later, I
tried accessing it, and it returned "DRIVE FAIL". After a reboot a few
weeks later, the drive sounded like a chainsaw. :-)

Later,
David