Re: Re: please add glibc -2.2.4 under errata for YDL 2.1

Subject: Re: Re: please add glibc -2.2.4 under errata for YDL 2.1
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 03:59:17 MDT

> If xchat is stable then how come there are 4 1.8 releases? :) Upgrading to
> lastest version of something isn't always desirable.

I don't know. Maybe its not stable and that's the reason.
Anyway, xchat was just an example. Maybe I chose a bad example.

Perhaps a better question would be

"What standards does YDL use for choosing what releases of the 900 or so
packages that make up a major or minor release?

The problem domain of this thread is how to set up a YDL based machine with
glibc-2.2.4 and perhaps other more bleeding edge libraries and utilities.

In order to explore this a bit, I'd like to find answers to the following
questions:

What advantages do I get from upgrading glibc
What other upgrades would be necessary if I do upgrade glibc?
Beyond those, what other upgrades would be useful and why?
What challenges are involved in each upgrade?

I've read in this thread about glibc and binutils upgrades.
What other things to people find it useful to upgrade and why?

> The big thing is, ydl2.1 is a maintenance release. It's a newer kernel,
> kde, xfree, and all the ydl2 errata. It isn't meant to be an 'all newer
> apps' release.

I eagerly await the arrival of Fed-ex or whoever with my copy!
I expect it to be great, just like the last one!

-Pat

Support your local distro! Buy a copy.

Woof! Woof!