Re: please add glibc -2.2.4 under errata for YDL 2.1

Subject: Re: please add glibc -2.2.4 under errata for YDL 2.1
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 04:56:21 MDT

> People are upset about the lack of easy
> 1.x -> 2.x upgrades. This has everything to do with drastic changes at the
> very core levels. All 2.x releases should maintain easy upgradeability.

Upgrading can be a bear if you have to remove the base on which the whole
structure is built. People, especially X-nix newcomers should be warned of
this in the install instructions (most of us figure it out after a few revs).
Advise people to at least put /home on a separate partition. With the size
disk drives we have today, this makes a lot of sense.

You may want to give people who are still on 1.2 instructions for splitting
out /home into a separate partition, although anyone with only one drive and
the minimum number of partitions will have a hard time doing this. I did it
during my third re-install. I highly recommend it as a way of saving time
when you are forced into a reinstall for any reason.

The primary loss during a reinstall upgrade is the configuration stuff that
people have customized for the box. Depending on what you're doing with the
box, I understand it can get rather messy.

For my machine this is quite easy. Its a home machine connected by ppp to an
ISP. All I need to do is save a few key files on a partition that's not
going to get hit, reinstall and reconfigure a few things. For most of it I
use the saved info from users, groups, kppp configuration.

I always keep /home separate and make sure the uid and gid for the one user
id on the box are the same from install to install.

I also install into more than one partition so I can play with stuff in one
partition and still have a working machine if I hose something.

When my 2.1 cd's arrive, I'm looking forward to a quintuple boot box:

MacOS X 10.1
MacOs 9.1
YDL 2.0
YDL 2.1
YDL 2.1 leading edge

When I get all that working YDL 2.0 will get replaced with YDL 2.1 with
bleeding edge upgrades, all done daily with yup of course....

-Pat