Re: Yup and YDL 2.0

Subject: Re: Yup and YDL 2.0
From: Hollis Blanchard (hollis-lists@austin.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 21:28:58 MDT

on 23/10/01 4:31 PM, Derick Centeno at aguila@macol.net wrote:

> Recently got YDL 2.0 and noticed that yup breaks whenever yup update is used.

Please 'yup update yup' first, or install the update by hand from any of the
mirrors.

> Also I can't use yup as superuser, I have to be in root. That's not
> supposed to happen right?

I don't recall seeing this problem, although I'm not *positive* I've tried
that. What is the exact error (cut and paste please) that you see?

> Also I can't use fdisk or pdisk unless I'm in root. Is there a quick
> way to display all the devices via fdisk? Such as all sd or hd
> devices or do I have to plug through each single device seperately to
> discover what it is?

fdisk will only show you DOS-partitioned disks (the kind that Mac OS doesn't
know what to do with). pdisk will only show you Apple-partitioned disks.

pdisk -L will list everything it can find, but you probably have 5 disks at
maximum anyways, and most of the time you already know if you have IDE (hd*)
or SCSI (sd*) disks.

Also, try parted. It understands both kinds of partition maps (and a few
more besides), and can easily be scripted, eg 'parted /dev/sda print'.

-Hollis