Re: Ruff Pack 0.80

Subject: Re: Ruff Pack 0.80
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 23:37:05 MST

Jack Valois's bits of Wed, 23 Feb 2000 translated to:

>For those of us who would like to try running on the ragged edge of things,
>where we one start with the latest RPMs?
>
>With so many RPMS, would you suggest installing them all? If so, what's the
>easiest way to go about doing this?

Well, I am not positive about "easiest", but I can tell you what I did when
I started using Ruff Pack 0.75. I started by wiping my current system and
performing the most basic install I could manage from the CS 1.1 CD. I then
did an rpm -qa to get a listing of everything that was installed, and updated
each of those packages using rpm's from the 0.75 tree. I then went through
the 0.75 tree and installed everything else that I needed or that looked
interesting.

I am not sure that it is necessary that everything be from the Ruff Pack
tree, but I decided to play it safe. I suspect that upgrading some packages
(especially things like glibc) may break some of the older packages. I was
also trying to get my system to a state where I could do some valid debugging
of the new stuff if necessary. But I wouldn't suggest this approach unless
you just want to play and have time to burn. When all was said and done,
I spent most of a day and half getting a functional system back online.
But things have been working great since then ;) For 0.80, I will probably
be lazy and just rpm -Uvh anything with a new version number.

Jim