Re: linux-ipsec: FreeS/WAN on PPC Linux

Subject: Re: linux-ipsec: FreeS/WAN on PPC Linux
From: Darron Froese (darron@fudgehead.com)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 23:37:10 MST

on 11/2/99 4:51 PM, Sandy Harris at sandy.harris@sympatico.ca wrote:

> Henry Spencer wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Darron Froese wrote:
>
>>> I've been trying to get FreeS/WAN compiled into the kernel on my
>>> YellowDogLinux box ...
>>
>> ... This is a failure in the build of the user-level GMP
>> library, which we supply but didn't write. ... It's failing in
>> a way that suggests that GMP is confused about what assembler your system
>> has.
>>
>> You might be able to convince GMP to use non-assembler generic code -- I
>> believe it has that -- but we've never explored the details.
>
> Look in the mailing list archives around December last year or January
> this year for posts about getting it running on ARM CPU's, perhaps
> Netwinder machines. A bit of it is quoted in compatability.html,
> but not enough.
>
> One problem there was in the ARM assembler in GMP. The solution was a
> change in the makefile to make it use generic C code.

I found that posting on the list from January (NOTE: You can't click on the
January 1999 link as it gets a 404 - you have to search the archives.) - he
commented out the code in longlong.h and that fixed it. I looked through the
code and commented out the parts that referred to the PPC - didn't help.

So I grabbed the src rpm for gmp and did a rpm --rebuild. Then, after it had
finished configuring, I killed the compile and rm -rf'd the
/usr/src/freeswan-1.1/gmp folder. Then I cp -ar'd the gmp folder from the
src rpm to the freeswan folder.

Then I changed the kernel make command (in the freeswan makefile) to "make
vmlinux" (instead of make bzImage which doesn't work on this machine) and it
built successfully.

The resulting kernel boots my machine, but I'm tired and have to sleep now
so I have no idea whether or not it actually works yet - but it did compile.
Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Darron
darron@fudgehead.com