PowerBook G3 & 2.2.12

Subject: PowerBook G3 & 2.2.12
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sat Oct 09 1999 - 00:53:56 MDT

I pulled the new 2.2.12 kernel, rpm'd it onto my PowerBook G3 (Bronze),
copied the kernel to the system folder, rebooted, and all was good. I
checked the boot up messages and didn't see any problems there. Have only
had the new kernel running for a couple hours, but so far so good.

I was also able to get hardware acceleration and correct video ram
detection with the XF68_FBDev server (still using the stock 3.3.3.1
stuff). This of course requires the proper kernel arguments (I used
video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:32,mclk:70), deselecting the "No video driver"
option, and some hacking about in XF86Config. Xconfigurator failed to
generate a usable XF86Config file though it did detect the card correctly.
Xautoconfig also failed. I ended up borrowing bits from some of the config
files listed in the Lombard section of http://www.loomer.com/linuxppc. As
with all things X, use this information at your own risk ;)

Volume control on the PowerBook still seems to be a no-go. Is this
something that was supposedly addressed with the new kernel? If so, does
anything special need to be done?

Thanks much for getting the new kernel out.

Jim