Re: PowerBook G3 & 2.2.12

Subject: Re: PowerBook G3 & 2.2.12
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Sat Oct 09 1999 - 10:23:53 MDT

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Jim Cole wrote:

> I pulled the new 2.2.12 kernel, rpm'd it onto my PowerBook G3 (Bronze),
> copied the kernel to the system folder, rebooted, and all was good. I
> checked the boot up messages and didn't see any problems there. Have only
> had the new kernel running for a couple hours, but so far so good.
>
> I was also able to get hardware acceleration and correct video ram
> detection with the XF68_FBDev server (still using the stock 3.3.3.1
> stuff). This of course requires the proper kernel arguments (I used
> video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:32,mclk:70), deselecting the "No video driver"
> option, and some hacking about in XF86Config. Xconfigurator failed to
> generate a usable XF86Config file though it did detect the card correctly.
> Xautoconfig also failed. I ended up borrowing bits from some of the config
> files listed in the Lombard section of http://www.loomer.com/linuxppc. As
> with all things X, use this information at your own risk ;)

Basically I forgot to mention this.. I haven't released the new
Xconfigurator and mouseconfig that are compatible with 2.2.6 AND 2.2.12.
(I am finishing implimenting some code to determine at runtime whether
 we are using uusbd or usb in the main kernel.. then the program acts
 accordingly)

Anyway, I just need to hear "the kernel works for me" for various
machines.. then I'll release the real thing + the tools needed
to get X up and running, and setup mouse/keyboard maps for the new usb
stuff.

> Volume control on the PowerBook still seems to be a no-go. Is this
> something that was supposedly addressed with the new kernel? If so, does
> anything special need to be done?

Try setting the volume with kmix.. that works for me on my Lombard.

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
   Yellow Dog Linux
   http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/