Frame Buffer

Subject: Frame Buffer
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 18:42:09 MDT

This is probably only loosely (if at all) related to the new kernel, but I
thought I would pass it along. After installing the new kernel, tweaking
the XF86Config file, deselecting the "No Video Driver" option, and adding
the following kernel arguments

video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:32,mclk:70

there seem to be some small problems with redrawing the screen. The most
repeatable example I have seen is as follows...

Under KDE with the Panel set to auto-hide, if the Panel is raised to
switch desktops, the part of the screen that was under the panel is not
fully redrawn. If the issue is forced by moving a window over the "bad"
spots or typing in this section redraws do occur in the corresponding
areas. However, returning to the desktop in question and raising/lowering
the panel does not cause a redraw.

There have been a couple other little redraw problems, but not anything
that I was able to repeat.

These problems did not occur with the old kernel and non-accelerated
server, so I don't think it is purely a KDE issue.

The above is occuring on a PowerBook G3 (Lombard).

Jim