Re: Frame Buffer

Subject: Re: Frame Buffer
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 18:43:11 MDT

Jim,

> This is probably only loosely (if at all) related to the new kernel, but I
> thought I would pass it along. After installing the new kernel, tweaking
> the XF86Config file, deselecting the "No Video Driver" option, and adding
> the following kernel arguments
>
> video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:32,mclk:70

I'm running at 16 bit color.

> there seem to be some small problems with redrawing the screen. The most
> repeatable example I have seen is as follows...
>
> Under KDE with the Panel set to auto-hide, if the Panel is raised to
> switch desktops, the part of the screen that was under the panel is not
> fully redrawn. If the issue is forced by moving a window over the "bad"
> spots or typing in this section redraws do occur in the corresponding
> areas. However, returning to the desktop in question and raising/lowering
> the panel does not cause a redraw.
>
> There have been a couple other little redraw problems, but not anything
> that I was able to repeat.

Hmm, I'm trying to recreate this on my Lombard and XFree86 3.3.5. So far
I'm unable to,

> These problems did not occur with the old kernel and non-accelerated
> server, so I don't think it is purely a KDE issue.
>
> The above is occuring on a PowerBook G3 (Lombard).

Let me know if it still happens at a lower color depth (ie: 16 bpp)

We're working on XFree86 3.3.5 updates so I'll post some for testing on
this list sometime soon.

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
   Yellow Dog Linux