Re: Frame Buffer

Subject: Re: Frame Buffer
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 21:18:56 MDT

Dan Burcaw's bits of Mon, 11 Oct 1999 translated to:

> Let me know if it still happens at a lower color depth (ie: 16 bpp)
I tried at 16 bpp and saw the same problem, but I also had screens full
of ...

mach64CreateGC: unsupported depth: 16. Using cfbCreateGC instead.
mach64CreateGC: unsupported depth: 16. Using cfbCreateGC instead.

when I exited, so it may not have been a valid test. I tried changing to
a depth of 15, but the server died on no valid modes. Some or all of
these problems might be my fault since my XF86Config file is hacked
together with bits and pieces of random information I have chased down.
This is my first time playing with an LCD display, and between not knowing
exactly how that affects things and not being able to find anything
resembling a technical spec on the display I have just stumbled along
as best I could.

In any case, this is not a major issue for me since the system is still
quite usable. If you are concerned about it, I would be more than happy
to try some other things and see if I can nail down the problem. Otherwise
I can just wait for the 3.3.5 code and see whether that fixes things.

> We're working on XFree86 3.3.5 updates so I'll post some for testing on
> this list sometime soon.
Cool! I was going to try 3.3.5 last weekend, but couldn't figure out
if there was an "official" port in progress. I did find a number of
references to the stuff in /users/trini at linuxppc.org; is this where
most people are pulling from? Sorry if this is stupid question, still
trying to find my way around the PPC side of things.

Jim