PReP Boot disk problems

Subject: PReP Boot disk problems
From: Aaron Burt (aaronb@eskimo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 00:13:38 MDT

I'm sure you've received plenty of comments like this, but I thought I'd
follow the "Comments to yellowdog-devel" advice anyway.

I am truly amazed that y'all managed to fit a PReP kernel and an installer
into 1.4MB. Nobody else has come close.

The kernel has a few problems, though:
The Mac NVRAM driver is not appropriate, is it?

The Symbios 53c8xx driver doesn't appear to support the NCR53c810 in the
Blackhawk.

VC4 (printk console) occasionally prints:
<7>Bogus interrupt from PC = c0008fc
Hitting keys seems to trigger it.

The de4x5 driver appears to work, but I'm unable to get it to FTP or HTTP
stage2.img. I've tried FTP via proxy and HTTP local, both with names and
IPs. This typically works with other PowerPC installers using the de4x5
driver, so I don't know whas'up.

I think I'll play with the 43c we have lying around next.
Any chance the IBM PS850 (PReP) might work?

Has anyone heard of IBM porting DB/2 to PPC Linux? Seems a perfect match.

If you want 'em, I believe I can get old CHRP and PReP boxes pretty cheap
'round here. I'll price 'em and see if I can afford to donate to the
cause. Is there any sort of demand?