Re: PReP Boot disk problems

Subject: Re: PReP Boot disk problems
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 06:54:44 MDT

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Aaron Burt wrote:

> I'm sure you've received plenty of comments like this, but I thought I'd
> follow the "Comments to yellowdog-devel" advice anyway.
>
> I am truly amazed that y'all managed to fit a PReP kernel and an installer
> into 1.4MB. Nobody else has come close.
>
> The kernel has a few problems, though:
> The Mac NVRAM driver is not appropriate, is it?
>
> The Symbios 53c8xx driver doesn't appear to support the NCR53c810 in the
> Blackhawk.
>
> VC4 (printk console) occasionally prints:
> <7>Bogus interrupt from PC = c0008fc
> Hitting keys seems to trigger it.
>
> The de4x5 driver appears to work, but I'm unable to get it to FTP or HTTP
> stage2.img. I've tried FTP via proxy and HTTP local, both with names and
> IPs. This typically works with other PowerPC installers using the de4x5
> driver, so I don't know whas'up.

Thanks for the input. Realize that the image was made without a PReP
machine. We haven't tested them, etc.

> I think I'll play with the 43c we have lying around next.
> Any chance the IBM PS850 (PReP) might work?

Theres been some debate on linuxppc-workstation about this. At this point
I'd say no.

> Has anyone heard of IBM porting DB/2 to PPC Linux? Seems a perfect match.

Stay tuned.

> If you want 'em, I believe I can get old CHRP and PReP boxes pretty cheap
> 'round here. I'll price 'em and see if I can afford to donate to the
> cause. Is there any sort of demand?

IF I can find any around here, that would certainly help in supporting
them better.

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.