No sound

Subject: No sound
From: Kevin Heflin (kheflin@shreve.net)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 20:32:31 MDT

I've been switching between YDL and Suse6.4 the last few days.
I've decided to go with YDL if for no other reason, than the activity on
this list, and the helpful YDL web site.

My previous installs of YDL went off fine minus a problem I had using an
imate adapter on a G4 and trying to use a TurboMouse. I've since bought a
Kensington TurboRing and ditched the imate adapter, and all was well.

Well now that I've made the final decision to switch to YDL, after
installation, I don't have any sound. I've tried running xmms but I have
no sound, I tried running kmix, but it complains that:

kmix: Could not open mixer.
Probably you have not yet configured your soundcard.
Try running /usr/sbin/sndconfig as root before running kmix.

I would go looking for sndconfig, to install, if I thought that would
help. But I'm confused that with my previous YDL install, I didn't have
this problem.

Any suggestions ?

I don't have much experience compiling my own kernel. But I had some good
luck with the developemnt kernel at linuxcare.com.au by running
rsync... then going through the steps... what I would like to know is
where is the best place to stay current with the latest stable ppc kernel,
and still be able to run rsync etc... I just thought that was so handy.

Also, I've seen lots of emails and questions from people trying to upgrade
to XF4, and from the number of questions I've seen, I'm afraid to try this
right off. But was curious as to where is a good place to go to find the
best, complete steps to do this.. if I even should ?

Any suggestions on the sound problem would be most appreciated.. figuring
all this out is much easier when I can listen to some music at the same
time :-)

on that note... I am running on a G4 with the latest Champion Server dist
from YellowDog 2.2.15-2.9.0

Kevin

Kevin Heflin          | ShreveNet, Inc.      | Ph:318.222.2638 x103
VP/Production         | 333 Texas St #175    | FAX:318.221.6612
kheflin@shreve.net    | Shreveport, LA 71101 | http://www.shreve.net