Re: PowerMac 8600 with Sonnet ATA PCI Card

Subject: Re: PowerMac 8600 with Sonnet ATA PCI Card
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nm@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 13:40:17 MST

Good lord, another Nathan... :)

Just got my server back up after the Charter/@Home debacle, so I'm getting
all my list messages piecemeal. My apologies if this issue was put to bed
already.

I haven't used the Tempo under Linux but I know that I was terribly
disappointed that the card makes ATA drives show up as SCSI devices on the
MacOS. It's not software, I think the card firmware actually performs the
remapping. No clue why, unless there's a hard limit to the number of ATA
devices addressible on the MacOS or something. Didn't think there should
be but what do I know.

Anyway, unless you can alter its firmware (I think it's a customized
Promise card, if I recall correctly, and might be able to be flashed back
to Promise FW) the card will probably make an ATA device show up as SCSI.
I don't think it'd be a problem to use it as such under YDL, but I fear
that any low-level operations would probably fail, perhaps spectacularly.
I'd be curious if you get it to work, since I have one of those cards
laying around and it wouldn't be awful to stick a large drive in one of my
older 604 systems if I can get a success report.

Best of luck,

Yet Another Nathan