Re: /sbin/mke2fs /dev/hdb12

Subject: Re: /sbin/mke2fs /dev/hdb12
From: Ken Schweigert (ken@byte-productions.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 10:30:04 MST

David,

Sorry about the confusion with the mount command. If /dev/hda13 is your
entire filesystem, and /dev/hdbX is mounted as your /home directory,
transfer the files from your original /home there.

I would recommend against removing the original /home directory until you
are absolutely certain the new /home is the way you like it. Once you
get the files moved over to new /home, rename the orignal /home to something
like /home-orig. Create some files & remove some files from /home and use
'df -al' before and after each step to make sure the correct partition is
being used. Make sure the blocks available go up and down as expected.
If everything is working as expected, then you could reclaim the space on
/dev/hda.

I would also like to caution you against creating symbolic links across
filesystems. One of the benefits to partitioning your drives and/or
using multiple drives, is that you seperate different sections of the OS
from itself. For example, if you have a runaway process like a cron job
that is writing a bunch of debug log entries to /var/log/messages, the
file could grow out of control and eventually consume the entire /var
partition. If /var is part of your only / partition, then you no longer
have any space on your drive, and this process will bring the box down
with it. If /var was on it's own partition, say 500MB, it could only
write 500MB worth of log entries and stop, thus protecting your system
as a whole.

Hope this helps.

--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 08:33:04PM -0500, david wright wrote: > Ken, thanks so much for your help. I have a few questions. > > I actually found some information on the topic prior to your response so I > ended up with: mkdir /mnt/newhome (on hdb12) and adding that to etc/fstab. > So when i rebooted it was auto mounted. So it is there it seems to have > created an empty 'lost&found' folder for some reason. (which is basically > what you said, so it was nice to hear the same advice twice, always > preferable,... : -) > > Now this brings me to your other points. i was going to copy /home to > /mnt/newhome, then remove the original (/home) folders and just have a ln -s > to the new home, but i much more prefer the idea of moving home completely to > /mnt/newhome and renaming in /mnt/home and that being my new home of home > (ha) (and rmdir /home from my hda12 -original filesystem i didn't know if > linux would like that or not, although it sounds like it could care less > where my directories are. > > you said: > >Mount your old home partition: > >[root@byte-8 /root]# mount -t ext2 /dev/hdaX /mnt/oldhome > > - now this i don't totally understand, because hda(13) is my entire / > partition, which includes /home but everything else as well, i only want to > move home (nothing else) from there to it's new spot. > > -Can't i just: mv /home /mnt/newhome now that it's auto mounted? > > -thanks again > -david