Re: ibook2 modem

Subject: Re: ibook2 modem
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 05:08:29 MDT

gideon wrote:

> Hmmm, maybe a better question would be "has anyone gone through the
> installation process and been able to use their modem?"
>
> I installed acording to the instructions for "NewWorld ROM systems: yaboot"
>
> when I was done I got a horizontal "split" screen. I managed to play
> around with Xconfigure to get past this in X.
>
> I try to use ppp to dial out via my modem and the machine tells me
> "modem not found"

In Unix devices have specific well defined names - simply because you
can always install more than one device on your machine, and you would
have to tell the defferent between them.

The error "modem not found" isn't very specific at all - the error
message should tell you what the name of the modem is that it could not
find.

Was this name /dev/modem by any chance?

> however the system tells me from the command line that the modem is on
> ttyS0.

When does it tell you this? When the machine boots up?

Do you have a symbolic link from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS0?

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street