Re: ibook2 modem

Subject: Re: ibook2 modem
From: gideon (rush@charlie.cns.iit.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 02:14:16 MDT

Graham Leggett wrote:

> gideon wrote:
>

>>Hmmm, maybe a better question would be "has anyone gone through the
>>installation process and been able to use their modem?"
>>
>>I installed acording to the instructions for "NewWorld ROM systems: yaboot"
>>
>>when I was done I got a horizontal "split" screen. I managed to play
>>around with Xconfigure to get past this in X.
>>
>>I try to use ppp to dial out via my modem and the machine tells me
>>"modem not found"
>>

> In Unix devices have specific well defined names - simply because you
> can always install more than one device on your machine, and you would
> have to tell the defferent between them.
>
> The error "modem not found" isn't very specific at all - the error
> message should tell you what the name of the modem is that it could not
> find.
>
> Was this name /dev/modem by any chance?
>

>>however the system tells me from the command line that the modem is on
>>ttyS0.
>>

> When does it tell you this? When the machine boots up?
>
> Do you have a symbolic link from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS0?
>
> Regards,
> Graham

ok how 'bout this....

I just reinstalled YDL with a more updated cd (bought another one)

I boot up.

from the "start" menu i go to start/internet/dialup configuration

the "creat a new internet connection" wizard comes up.

"you don't appear to have a modem configured..."

"no modems were detected on your system"

I just looked in /dev for "modem"
and didn't find it. I did find ttyS0.

So I guess now my question is...how do i get my modem recognized?