Re: XF86 Install Hell

Subject: Re: XF86 Install Hell
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 09:47:09 MST

> > Sooo, can anyone recommend where I should start in order to
>actually install
>> XFree 86 version 4 without screwing up my entire system?
>
> Build the source, Luke!

What difference would this make? If there is a dependency on a
library that does not come with X to begin with (to use the X
example), it won't make any difference if you build it or not.
Perhaps that never happens though, I'm not sure.

Regardless, if building your own is the solution, may I recommend you
get kfukui's src rpm for Xfree86 to do so sensibly. They are built
off of Ani's tree, so you can avoid the necessary manual patching of
the Xfree86.org sources. Kfukui's is generally the latest build for
ppc AFAICT.

FWIW, fixing the dependencies so you can just update using the binary
rpms can be tedious, but it -is- possible. I know, I've persisted
(sometimes over a period of days) studying the dependencies and
getting updates and solving the secondary and tertiary dependencies
that arise as well. It's an education and a hair-pulling experience
to be sure, but it eventually works.

Stefan Jeglinski