Re: KDE - more hassles

Subject: Re: KDE - more hassles
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 19:50:15 MST

Sam Moore wrote:

> Since kdeadmin-2.0-1a.ppc.rpm needs libbz2.so.1, I downloaded and installed
> bzip2-1.0.1.tar.gz, as follows:
>
> tar -xvpzf bzip2-1.0.1.tar.gz
> cd bzip2-1.0.1
> make
> make install
>
> The install seemed to go fine, but the rpm is still complaining that libbz2.so.1
> isn't installed.
> Did I miss something here?
> BTW there are libs called libbz2.so, libbz2.so.0 and libbz2.so.0.0.0 at
> /usr/lib.

This tidbit is in the README file for bzip.

HOW TO BUILD -- UNIX, shared library libbz2.so.

Do 'make -f Makefile-libbz2_so'. This Makefile seems to work for
Linux-ELF (RedHat 5.2 on an x86 box), with gcc. I make no claims
that it works for any other platform, though I suspect it probably
will work for most platforms employing both ELF and gcc.

bzip2-shared, a client of the shared library, is also build, but
not self-tested. So I suggest you also build using the normal
Makefile, since that conducts a self-test.

Important note for people upgrading .so's from 0.9.0/0.9.5 to
version 1.0. All the functions in the library have been renamed,
from (eg) bzCompress to BZ2_bzCompress, to avoid namespace pollution.
Unfortunately this means that the libbz2.so created by
Makefile-libbz2_so will not work with any program which used an
older version of the library. Sorry. I do encourage library
clients to make the effort to upgrade to use version 1.0, since
it is both faster and more robust than previous versions.

Ok that's how to build it. Following these instructions got me the following:

[root@localhost bzip2-1.0.1]# make -f Makefile-libbz2_so
gcc -shared -Wl,-soname -Wl,libbz2.so.1.0 -o libbz2.so.1.0.1 blocksort.o huffman.o
crctable.o randtable.o compress.o decompress.o bzlib.o
gcc -fpic -fPIC -Wall -Winline -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -o bzip2-shared bzip2.c libbz2.so.1.0.1
rm -f libbz2.so.1.0
ln -s libbz2.so.1.0.1 libbz2.so.1.0
[root@localhost bzip2-1.0.1]# ls libbz2.so*
libbz2.so.1.0 libbz2.so.1.0.1
[root@localhost bzip2-1.0.1]# pwd
/usr/src/bzip2-1.0.1
[root@localhost bzip2-1.0.1]#

ok so the so.1 is in the bzip build directory. how do we get it to /usr/lib?