Re: KDE - more hassles

Subject: Re: KDE - more hassles
From: Sam Moore (samiwas@macconnect.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 21:07:14 MST

cp libbz2.so.1.0.1 /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1

But unfortunately the kdeadmin .rpm still won't see it.

On 11/14/00 at 9:50 PM, pac1@tiac.net (Patrick Callahan) wrote:

> Sam Moore wrote:
>
> > Since kdeadmin-2.0-1a.ppc.rpm needs libbz2.so.1, I downloaded and installed
> > bzip2-1.0.1.tar.gz, as follows:
> >
> > tar -xvpzf bzip2-1.0.1.tar.gz
> > cd bzip2-1.0.1
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > The install seemed to go fine, but the rpm is still complaining that
> libbz2.so.1
> > isn't installed.
> > Did I miss something here?
> > BTW there are libs called libbz2.so, libbz2.so.0 and libbz2.so.0.0.0 at
> > /usr/lib.
>
> This tidbit is in the README file for bzip.
>
> HOW TO BUILD -- UNIX, shared library libbz2.so.
>
> Do 'make -f Makefile-libbz2_so'. This Makefile seems to work for
> Linux-ELF (RedHat 5.2 on an x86 box), with gcc. I make no claims
> that it works for any other platform, though I suspect it probably
> will work for most platforms employing both ELF and gcc.
>
> bzip2-shared, a client of the shared library, is also build, but
> not self-tested. So I suggest you also build using the normal
> Makefile, since that conducts a self-test.
>
> Important note for people upgrading .so's from 0.9.0/0.9.5 to
> version 1.0. All the functions in the library have been renamed,
> from (eg) bzCompress to BZ2_bzCompress, to avoid namespace pollution.
> Unfortunately this means that the libbz2.so created by
> Makefile-libbz2_so will not work with any program which used an
> older version of the library. Sorry. I do encourage library
> clients to make the effort to upgrade to use version 1.0, since
> it is both faster and more robust than previous versions.
>
> Ok that's how to build it. Following these instructions got me the following:
>
> [root@localhost bzip2-1.0.1]# make -f Makefile-libbz2_so
> gcc -shared -Wl,-soname -Wl,libbz2.so.1.0 -o libbz2.so.1.0.1 blocksort.o
> huffman.o
> crctable.o randtable.o compress.o decompress.o bzlib.o
> gcc -fpic -fPIC -Wall -Winline -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -o bzip2-shared bzip2.c libbz2.so.1.0.1
> rm -f libbz2.so.1.0
> ln -s libbz2.so.1.0.1 libbz2.so.1.0
> [root@localhost bzip2-1.0.1]# ls libbz2.so*
> libbz2.so.1.0 libbz2.so.1.0.1
> [root@localhost bzip2-1.0.1]# pwd
> /usr/src/bzip2-1.0.1
> [root@localhost bzip2-1.0.1]#
>
> ok so the so.1 is in the bzip build directory. how do we get it to /usr/lib?

Sam Moore <smoo@lungta.org>
dba Windhorse Studio * Maps & Information Design

Personal: http://www.lungta.org (not ready yet)
For the clan: http://smhtf.lungta.org
Work: http://www.ewcreative.com

"Good and bad, happy and sad, all thoughts vanish into
emptiness like the imprint of a bird in the sky."