Black screen on start up

Subject: Black screen on start up
From: COLIN COMOLLATTI (c.comollatti@cqu.edu.au)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 15:35:32 MST

G'Day All

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

I have check the past e-mails on this topic but none have worked for me.

PROBLEM:

The computer will not boot directly into linux.

On start up the screen will be black. When I press the ENTER key it will go
directly into running the Linux kernel. It will not do anything if left and
no keys pressed.

If I boot from the open firmware there are no problems, and there seems to
be no fault with linux once started, startx also works fine.

CONFIGURATION:

1. Yellow Dog LInux 1.2.1 is running on a new world G4 single processor.

2. 32MB Macintosh partition contains the following files:

    yaboot
    yaboot.conf
    vmlinux

NO system folder

3. yaboot.conf settings:

    init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
options.\n\n" timeout = 1 image = hd:9,vmlinux #Also tried the different slash
combinations. This worked label = linux
        root = /dev/hda11

NOTE:
hda9 = Macintosh partition/drive
hda11= root partition/drive

4. Open Firmware settings

This will work when I boot into open firmware. Do I need to save these
settings somehow,

    setenv boot-device hd:,yaboot #Also tried the different slash
combinations. This worked
    boot

also tried

    setenv boot-device hd:,yaboot
    setenv boot-command boot

Thank You for your time

Colin Comollatti

Phone: +61 7 4930 9303 Educational Design and Multimedia
Unit
Fax: +61 7 4930 9045 Distance and Flexible Learning
Centre
E-Mail: c.comollatti@cqu.edu.au Central Queensland University

This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution of copying of
communication in error, please notify us immediately by facsimile or
telephone.