Re: install struggles

Subject: Re: install struggles
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 10:12:22 MST

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Bryan Walls wrote:

> I won't bore with all the details. However, I'd like to have a
> development/Internet server system at home. I installed the Internet
> Server configuration, but couldn't compile Majordomo without
> development stuff. So I started installing development material and
> completely filled my disk.
>
> I have another SCSI disk I can add for more space. So, a few questions:
>
> 1. Is Majordomo the best solution for mailing lists that allow
> user-initiated subscribes and unsubscribes. Does any list software
> exist as a YDL rpm? As a source rpm? Majordomo is a pain to install.

You can use RedHat SRPM's too. And they're MUCH more common.

But no, I wouldn't recommend Majordomo. It's a pain to install and a pain
to use, both for admin and client. I'd look at MailMan ...
http://www.list.org/

> 2. Is there a clean way to install both Development and Internet
> Server loads?

"Everything" :-)

> 3. If I spread a distribution over multiple partitions, how should
> they be broken up, and which on which disk? I have a smallish disk
> (maybe 2GB?) with a 500MB Mac partition and the over-full YDL. The
> new drive is a 4GB. What's the best setup to allow for easy future
> upgrades?

There isn't a "best setup". I'm likely to have a few hundred MB for /,
"enough" space for /usr, "enough" space for /var, and "enough" space for
/home. I like having /var and /home separate from everything else because
those are the most likely to fill up, and if one fills up it won't affect
everything else as much. I usually symlink /tmp into /var.

But on my notebook, I just have a great-big / partition.

Everybody does things completely differently. You've got a mostly-complete
install ... make some guesses about how much space you'll need, and give
it a shot.

One thing I did is to -NOT- mac a MacOS partition ... I configured MOL to
use a big file from inside Linux instead. I do have to be in Linux to boot
MacOS now ... but I only do that -very- rarely, so it works great for me.
I can gzip it up when I'm not using it ...

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net