Installing YaBoot (to get my Epson 740 to work!)

Subject: Installing YaBoot (to get my Epson 740 to work!)
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 20:19:17 MDT

The short version of the story is I needed to compile USB printer support
into my kernel, so I grabbed source for 2.2.17. I compiled, tried to boot
with BootX which is what I've been using for ages and it complained about
lost interrupts when trying to do the partition check at boot time.

I looked around the net for help, and it seems that this is a known problem
with BootX and kernels >= 2.2.15

So I thought I'd get YaBoot and do the job properly. The docs talk about a
boot partition, and that I need to create one etc. But elsewhere it seemed
to imply that I could use a currently used HFS partition. If I can avoid
repartitioning my drive I would like to do so, but I also don't want to
risk screwing up my boot process.

I also apparently need to know the partition structure of my disk so I can
point YaBoot at the correct boot partition.

Using pdisk on the MacOS side (fdisk doesn't want to play presumably
because it can't work on a mounted device, is that correct?) I get the
following...

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/ata1.0' (/dev/hdc)
 #: type name length base ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
 2: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh 54 @ 64
 3: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh 74 @ 118
 4: Apple_Patches Patch Partition 512 @ 192
 5: Apple_HFS untitled 4096000 @ 704 ( 2.0G)
 6: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 262144 @ 4096704 (128.0M)
 7: Apple_HFS /home 4194304 @ 4358848 ( 2.0G)
 8: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /usr/local 2097152 @ 8553152 ( 1.0G)
 9: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 / 1944656 @ 10650304 (949.5M)

What's odd here is that Linux see's my HD as /dev/hda (not hdc). But
assuming that's not a problem (can I assume that?), what are all these
other partitions 1-4. When I originally installed Linux I worked round
them, but now I'm wondering if they play any part in the boot process, and
therefore if I need to know about them.

5 is my HFS+ partition that holds MacOS, the rest pretty much speak for
themselves.

Could someone who has installed YaBoot let me know where to start. The most
important thing to me is getting it up and running smoothly though, so if
that means repartitioning, so be it. But my CD drive is kinda dead, so if I
screw up the boot process I'm not going to be able to boot of CD to rescue
things. (Otherwise I'd just take a backup and charge ahead :-) ).

Thanks in advance.

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall