Re: New Installation!

Subject: Re: New Installation!
From: Roger Blum (rogerogerb@sk.sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 20:09:28 MDT

Franck Chionna wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>
> > A recent hard drive crash has prompted me to try something different! :-)
> > So I ordered a 12 gig drive and a copy of SUSE Linux 6.4
> > I will be doing a fresh partitioning/install and am looking for suggestions.
> > I need to be able to run BBEdit, Photoshop, Illustrator, Appleworks until I
> > can transition over to Open Source Solutions.
> > Will MOL be fast enough to run Photoshop? Or is GIMP that good?
> > Can/Should I set up a dual boot situation? (and how would I partition the
> > drives)
> > I am sure I will have more questions, but these are the ones staring at me
> > right now.
> >
> > Thanks for any info!
> >
> > JW
> >
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > Jeff Wiegand | Head Cook | Electroponics, Inc.
> > jeff@electroponics.com | http://www.electroponics.com/
> > News - http://www.electroponics.com/news/
> > Local Music/Global Distribution - http://www.cd-kiosk.com/
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> yes, yes and yes.. PS and all other apps works very speedly (in console mode
> is better)
> so Gimp is very good too ...
>
> franck CHionna

My acid test is a 5 meg TIF file in Photoshop. I've got a PCI G4, and
performance
is pretty acceptable. MOL is not as fast as MacOS all by itself, but
it's still fast. Having more RAM is generally a good thing.

I'll have to try console mode, as I've been running MOL in its own
window.

As for Gimp vs Photoshop ... Gimp is pretty good, but if I had to
if I had to choose between the two, it would be Photoshop hands down.
The only place where Gimp would win is on price.

As for your drive partitions, you'll want one HFS+ or HFS for MacOS,
maybe another HFS partition for MacOS and Linux to share, and a couple
of
ext2's for your root and swap. Linux can't handle HFS+, so that's why
you'd need at least one HFS.

When you are choosing the size of your swap partition, take into account
not only how much RAM you have installed on your machine, but also how
much you'll have in the future. Increasing your swap space isn't
like the on the Mac, where you open a control panel, click on the little
arrow, and restart. Actually, the previous sentence says a lot about
the differences between MacOS and Linux.

Good luck, have fun (that's the whole point, right? :-)) and don't be
afraid to ask questions!

Rog