Re: Obtaining current kernels for PowerBooks

Subject: Re: Obtaining current kernels for PowerBooks
From: Derek Homeier (supas100@astrophysik.uni-kiel.de)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 06:58:25 MDT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Michael 'Mickey' Sattler wrote:

> I've been happily using a 2.2.14 kernel (obtained from some place
> I've long since forgotten). I've upgraded to MOL 48 and things
> weren't so happy. So I downloaded 49, but before I install it I want
> to get a more current kernel.
>
> I got vmlinux-2.2.17pre13-ben1 but the trackpad on my PowerBook G3
> (Bronze) doesn't respond. I see a note on Ben's page saying he's not
> posting kernels unless he's got something significant to test.
>
> So my question is where's the current place to be getting
> PowerBook-friendly kernels. If there's nobody reliable doing them I
> can certainly take the time to rsync and build, but I prefer not to.

Did you report the problem to Ben? That kernel is running on my Lombard
just fine, iirc. At least the kernel I compiled from Ben's sources is
running, but none of the others from his 2.2.17pre-series had any problems
with the trackpad either (though all but the last one had a problem with
the display backlight control).
I assume you _did_ follow the instructions for setting up the new input
layer? Do you have a USB mouse or trackball, and if so, does this work?

HTH,
                                                        Derek