Re: Obtaining current kernels for PowerBooks

Subject: Re: Obtaining current kernels for PowerBooks
From: Derek Homeier (supas100@astrophysik.uni-kiel.de)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 06:40:10 MDT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Michael 'Mickey' Sattler wrote:

> You said to me:
>
> >Did you report the problem to Ben?
>
> No.
>
> >That kernel is running on my Lombard
> >just fine, iirc. At least the kernel I compiled...
>
> Where are you getting these kernels and sources? URL, please.
>
> >I assume you _did_ follow the instructions for setting up the new input
> >layer? Do you have a USB mouse or trackball, and if so, does this work?
>
> I didn't see any instructions. I just got the kernel from somewhere.
> That's the crux of my query: where is the canonical place to be
> getting kernels from these days?

I thought you mentioned you had been on Ben's page, anyway, that's where
you can get the precompiled kernels and the sources -- or rather, links to
the sources via rsync:

http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/

That's probably the most canonical place there is, but even that's not very
canonical either, as Ben is regularly adding stuff to support newer hardware,
so with a machine that's already supported, you might as well go with
Paul's stable tree, but then, that's usually only available as source:

http://linuxcare.com.au/paulus/kernels.html

Also, once switched to the new usb input layer backported from 2.4, I don't
want to miss it, and especially wouldn't like to undo the changes in my
mouse/trackpad setup. I don't know if this backport has already been merged
into Paulus' tree, thus I haven't tried that one in a while.
However, the above adresses should always link you to the most recent
kernel stuff.

Have Fun,
                                                        Derek