Re: Trouble getting MOL running.

Subject: Re: Trouble getting MOL running.
From: Roger Blum (rogerogerb@sk.sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 16:34:07 MDT

Erick Schmidt wrote:

> I have installed 9.50 and am running SuSE Linux for the PPC.
>
> When I try to start MOL it patches the kernel but then just gives me a black
> screen. I can switch back to X-Windows and close the X-term but MOL never
> starts.
>
> A brief on my hardware/setup. I am running it on a Blue and White G3 with
> two hard drives. My startup disk is where Linux is installed with a small
> partition for the fake system folder for yaboot. The other drive is where
> the MacOS is installed.
>
> I have set the video in /etc/molrc to 1024*768 with a depth of 8. As well, I
> have tried hda7,hdb7,hdc7, and hdd7 for the device.
>
> Thanks for your support.
>
> eschmidt@patebonding.com

I have a similar setup, with two drives, and got the same results you
did
until I used the 1.6 ROM, which I downloaded from Apple's web site.
I had tried both the 1.8 and 1.8.1 ROMS with no success.

Do not worry that you are using a version of ROM in /usr/lib/mol that
is different from what's in your Mac's System Folder.

If you have trouble finding the 1.6 ROM, please email me and I'll send
you a copy of mine.

Here is the way I configured my drives:

blkdev: /dev/hda5 -rw
blkdev: /dev/hdb5 -rw

hda5 is the MacOS drive, and hdb5 is the root partition of the Linux
drive.

Good luck,

Rog