Re: PCI G4 Troubles

Subject: Re: PCI G4 Troubles
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 06:06:34 MST

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 10:02:31AM -0500, Robert Neugebauer wrote:
> My kernel is _not_ compiled with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS. I recompiled my
> kernel with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS option, and it did not make a difference,
> the same error occured.
>
> Although, when it was examining my System.map is said that the
> Using_Versions symbol was undefined. Then it patched the kernel, said that
> it's hooks were installed and then kernel panicked.
>
> I also tried MacOS 9 last night and it's rom v3.2.1, but it didn't get any
> further.
>
> Anything else that I could try.

I've identified the problem. The main trouble is that there is no
safe way to probe the kernel for the altivec support
(depending fully upon CONFIG_ALTIVEC breaks binary compatibility).

I suggest you comment out the

#ifdef CONFIG_ALTIVEC
#else
#endif

block in the kernel_module/init.c file (lines 210-220)
and then recompile the MOL kernel module. Also make sure
/usr/src/linux/include points to the correct kernel
headers (or change the path in Rules.make).

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470