Re: PCI G4 Troubles

Subject: Re: PCI G4 Troubles
From: Robert Neugebauer (rneugeba@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 10:28:31 MST

That worked. MOL now runs fine on my machine. I did a few things in it and
it seems to be fine.

But, I could only get MOL to start under X, which is much better than no
MOL. I would prefer to run it under its own VT if that is possible. Lots
of messages and config options seem to imply that it is. Whenever I tried
to start mol, it pumped out a whole bunch of lines like the following to
my screen.

** Video mode '1152x864-75' is unavailable

For every mode in my fb.modes file. I had never even heard of this file
before, so I don't know what it does, except that mol uses it and it has
lots of video modes in it.

After rejecting every mode in that file, it says that no usable console
modes where found. If my DISPLAY variable is set it then starts MOL in X.
The output from fbset is below.
mode "name"
    # D: 100.000 MHz, H: 83.893 kHz, V: 92.190 Hz
    geometry 1152 870 1152 870 32
    timings 10000 16 16 16 16 8 8
endmode

I am using BootX, so this is what my computer boots into.

Any ideas on this one. Thanks for the help in getting MOL running.

Bob