Re: PCI G4 Troubles

Subject: Re: PCI G4 Troubles
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 11:07:50 MST

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 12:28:31PM -0500, Robert Neugebauer wrote:
> That worked. MOL now runs fine on my machine. I did a few things in it and
> it seems to be fine.
>
> But, I could only get MOL to start under X, which is much better than no
> MOL. I would prefer to run it under its own VT if that is possible. Lots
> of messages and config options seem to imply that it is. Whenever I tried
> to start mol, it pumped out a whole bunch of lines like the following to
> my screen.
>
> ** Video mode '1152x864-75' is unavailable
>
> For every mode in my fb.modes file. I had never even heard of this file
> before, so I don't know what it does, except that mol uses it and it has
> lots of video modes in it.

It is a database for fbset. You can change the console resolution
by giving commands like 'fbset 640x480-75'

> After rejecting every mode in that file, it says that no usable console
> modes where found. If my DISPLAY variable is set it then starts MOL in X.
> The output from fbset is below.
> mode "name"
> # D: 100.000 MHz, H: 83.893 kHz, V: 92.190 Hz
> geometry 1152 870 1152 870 32
> timings 10000 16 16 16 16 8 8
> endmode
>
> I am using BootX, so this is what my computer boots into.

You are probably running with "No video driver" checked
in BootX (thus, the console mode is fixed). What you
should do is uncheck the "No video driver" setting
and make sure you are running the latest XPmac server.

You could also add the mode line above to the /etc/fbset.modes
file.

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470