Re: MOL tries to switch resolution

Subject: Re: MOL tries to switch resolution
From: Derek Homeier (supas100@astrophysik.uni-kiel.de)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 11:58:44 MDT

Hi Albert,

your post appears somewhat garbled, but I'll try to give you some hints:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Albert W D'Amanda wrote:

> >>Trying to configure MOL via the mac-on -linux user guide. To make it work It
> would appear that I have to install a copy of the Mac OS ROM file into
> /usr/lib/mol/rom/<name>.
>
> Tried their HOWTO to mount a CDROM (OS8.5) but I
> can not get it to work. Just keep getting "no such command, etc)

Which part of the procedure exactly is failing?
I assume you are within a command shell in an xterm or on the console.
What message do you get when you type 'mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt'?

> >> Can anyone out there tell me how ( step-by-step please) to transfer the Mac
> OS ROM from either the mac OS startup hard drive or the CD into linux /
> usr-------------
>
> >>I have Mac OS8.6 system folder installed on a partition on the same
> partitioned hard drive as linux.

Since you have an "Old-World"-Mac, you probably don't have a "MacOS ROM"
file in your System Folder. You'd have to get it from the CDROM, but if
all else fails, and your MacOS volume is HFS, and not HFS+, you could copy
it within MacOS to your hard drive and mount your MacOS volume from Linux.

> thanks
>
> BTW according to your e-mail address you are in Kiel. I have two
> brother-in-laws in the area; one in Pottberg and one in Eckerinfoerde. In
> fact I will be there again with my German born wife, the second week of
> this september for a family visit
>
> Also, I saw the Gord Foch in the Sail 2000 in New york Harbor last week(
> live in New York City area). Also, I saw it at the Kiel Harbor Museum the
> last time I visited.. Probably will see it again this September.

No idea where Pottberg is... but I do know Eckernförde. Hope you get better
weather by then.
I have been over to the US last month, but I missed the OpSail by a week
both in Philadelphia and in N.Y., and in the meantime also missed the
"Kieler Woche" sailing event here. :-/
But there's enough opportunity to see the Gorch Fock around here, of course.
Don't know if she will be home by September, though.

Greetings,
                                                        Derek