Re: MOL is slow with -rw access

Subject: Re: MOL is slow with -rw access
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 10:37:22 MDT

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 05:39:57AM -0400, Marcus wrote:
> my MOL is very fast when my hfs drive is mounted on the linux side with
> read/write access and this forces read olny access in MOL. When I unmount the
> drive from the linux side, MOL get read/write access back and starts to drag
> really bad. can some give me some info.
> I am on a B/W G3 350mhz with 326mb of ram.

Is virtual memory turned on? That might explain the performance
difference between read-only and read-write access. MOL (and MacOS)
is faster with VM off, although I haven't experienced a
dramatical difference. Anyway, I recommend running MOL without
VM (or RamDoubler) and let linux handle any paging.

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470