Re: Odd ethernet TCP/IP problem switching between MOL and regular Mac OS

Subject: Re: Odd ethernet TCP/IP problem switching between MOL and regular Mac OS
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 01:51:50 MDT

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 12:48:51PM -0400, Zachery Bir wrote:
> Speaking of, is anyone able to get TCP/IP connectivity back to the Linux
> side of the machine? I've heard people mention that they could get http
> across, but I can't get anything: ftp, ssh, http, appletalk, nothing. I
> can connect to external hosts just fine. Everything under the sun works
> great.

This used to work a while back, but it no longer does I think
(but it is somewhat related to the MacOS version).

Anyway, I've modified the linux part of the ethernet
driver to interface ethertap directly without using
sheep_net (sheep_net is really superfluous when one
uses ethertap).

With this modification, I can access both the local
machine and the world (by masquerading). Also,
I have succeeded in configuring netatalk to route
AppleTalk between tap0 and eth0. I can see and
connect to servers in both the local MOL-zone and
in the "ethernet zone". I haven't yet tried to connect
to non-local hosts (there aren't any), but it really
ought to work.

The drawback is of course that in order to use AppleTalk,
you have to setup a local zone for MOL/tap0 (or is there
bridging solutions)?

Anyway, networking should be much more stable when
MOL interfaces ethertap directly.

I'll probably push these changes to the bitkeeper tree
tomorrow for some testing.

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470