Re: Odd ethernet TCP/IP problem switching between MOL and regular MacOS

Subject: Re: Odd ethernet TCP/IP problem switching between MOL and regular MacOS
From: Darrin Tams (coloorbust@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 12:51:17 MDT

Here is an easy solution I use all the time with my laptop, which is always having to be plugged into different networks with different TCP/IP settings for work. Ultimately you will set up the "Location Manager" in the control panels. It is a one click solution for this problem once it is set up correctly. What I do is set up two locations for the same IP number and name one for MOL and the other for MacOS. (name them however you want) here is what to do.

1. You will need to make changes to the TCP/IP and AppleTalk control panels at a minimum to work.
        This can be originally set up in MacOS or MOL
2. In TCP/IP go to "Configurations" in the file menu you will see a 'default' in the listing. Rename this for your regular MacOS use.
3. Now duplicate it and name it for your MOL use.
            The 'default' settings/name can not be used for Location Manager.
4. Now do exactly the same as above for AppleTalk.
5. Now you are ready for Location Manager
6. In the File menu select New Location and name it for your MacOS
7. Put a check in the AppleTalk & TCP/IP box then go to edit and make sure the matching configurations for the MacOS is selected.
8. Now repeat 6 & 7 and do the same for MOL and you are basically done.

Close location Manager and in t he control strip on the screen should have the two setting options to select from.

The first time you are in each environment MacOS and MOL 1st via Location Manager select the correct setup 2nd then open TCP/IP to confirm that you don't get that message you have mentioned, 3rd if you do just let it be/get set correctly and you won't have to worry about it again just select the different setting when you enter a different environment

Hope this was clear, I found this somewhere on the internet so give kudos to that person sorry I can't remember. I have up to 20 settings that do this, 2 settings for each network I have to plug in to and it works great. And as you can see in Location Manager there is a number of other things you can do.

Have fun